Academic Site License FAQs
- How much does an academic site license cost?
- Desktop site licenses for AMPAC™ or CODESSA™ are $3,000. Unlike the complicated licensing
schemes offered by some of our competitors, the cost of an AMPAC site license is not
dependent on the size of your institution, the number of users or their usage patterns.
- Full site licenses for all Operating Systems that
Semichem supports at your institution are $4,500.
- On how many computers can my department install the software?
- The number of machines — just like the number of users — is unlimited.
This includes installation on research and teaching lab machines.
- Are there limits to the number of users that can install the software?
- No — a site license provides access to AMPAC for undergraduates, graduates, post-docs,
laboratory technicians, professors, and others associated with your university.
The only limitation is that these versions of AMPAC must be used
for academic purposes such as teaching and research.
- I work at a small university - why should I be interested in a site license?
- The cost of a SINGLE academic license to AMPAC is $1,500. For the price of only two SINGLE academic
licenses, you can provide access to
everyone on your campus, allowing integration of current technology in the lab and in the classroom.
- Some of the computers at my institution are running Linux, not Windows. Do I have to
buy a separate license?
- If you wish to support more than one OS, you will need to purchase the "All OS" license.
This license is equivalent to three SINGLE academic licenses and costs $4,500.
- What kind of documentation is available?
- AMPAC's extensive documentation includes an online (html), indexed user's manual, as well
as a pdf version of the manual that can easily be printed for handy reference. In addition,
there are a number of detailed, representative examples including electrostatic potential
mapping and visualization of molecular orbitals with easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions included.
- Many available packages provide semiempirical methods. What sets AMPAC apart?
- Compared to other packages, AMPAC has more ways to do things,
many of which are much better than the competition.
Advanced methods and modern, up-to-date programming insure quicker
run times and more stable performance.
The speed and robustness of AMPAC are just as important in teaching as in research. Best of all, AMPAC's
methods are produced and supported by active researchers who are just as committed to science as you are.
- Many companies are
shipping semiempirical packages based on older, public-domain
versions of MOPAC and AMPAC. The code for these versions was
developed prior to 1990, and many of these packages are not
being actively developed. Semichem continues to actively develop
new tools and methods for AMPAC to make it faster and easier to
use. These next-generation tools are not available in any other
package, and directly translate into faster more reliable calculations.
In fact, customers often report time savings of 2x-10x over their current package
when they switch to AMPAC.
- My campus already uses GaussView®. Why should I add AMPAC?
- Semichem and Gaussian, Inc. partnered to produce the industry standard GaussView program.
Because AGUI is a superset of GaussView, you can enjoy the power of AMPAC and Gaussian® from a
common interface. In addition, AMPAC's GUI provides a full range of semiempirical capabilities,
including the PM6, SAM1, AM1, MNDO, MNDO/d, PM3, MNDO/C, MINDO/3 methods, and on similar semiempirical
calculations AMPAC finishes significantly faster. If you are doing large molecule work, this can be a
- Do I have to purchase Annual Maintenance?
- Yes. Because our site licenses are heavily discounted, you must purchase Annual Maintence each year
to continue using our software. Annual Maintence includes full customer support AND updates to the
very latest releases. However, the cost of maintenance for a "one OS" license is only
$1,000 per year.
- Do I have to purchase updates separately?
- No. Any updates issued during the term of the license are provided immediately and at no
additional charge. There is no separate fee to download or install updates.